So many of those we work with are rough sleeping, in temporary accommodation (some of whom are sex workers) or in prison. Some facts and figures (which appeared in the latest Changing London) around these three issues:
- Every day 150 families in Britain become homeless
- Since 2010 the amount of rough sleepers in London has doubled.
- 76 of the 117 prisons in England and Wales are overcrowded – holding 9,496 people more than they were designed to.
- There are 72,800 UK sex workers. 74% of them cited the need to pay household expenses and support their children.
- 25% of young homeless women have engaged in sex in hope of acommodation.
'As soon as you are NFA - of no fixed abode - you become invisible' - Big Issue vendor